Pigeons are one of the most common problem bird in the UK and pose problems in both urban and rural areas. Having any type of pigeon, whether its wood pigeons or feral pigeons nesting in and around your property can cause a number of problems. This includes aesthetic damage from droppings and nest building, as well as overcrowding and general hygiene issues (this is especially apparent in commercial properties).
However, in this article, we will be looking at the best ways on how to get rid of pigeons from trees, whether this is in a domestic or commercial environment. Before we provide solutions, it’s important to understand why pigeons nest in trees.
WHY DO PIGEONS NEST IN TREES
Like all birds, pigeons nest in trees because they offer everything they need to build and sustain a safe environment for their young. Height, shelter, protection, warmth, materials and even food can be found in and around trees. A tree is a pigeon’s natural nesting environment, which can make getting rid of pigeons from trees particularly difficult because it’s their natural habitat.
However, there are ways to deter pigeons and other problem birds from nesting on your grounds and in your trees without having to literally remove and relocate them. We’ll start with the basics and move onto the more professional forms of pigeon removal.
ENSURING YOUR GARDEN REMAINS TIDY
Pigeons are arguably the least fussy eaters when it comes to their diet. Surviving in both rural and urban environments has introduced them to a wide variety of foods outside their natural diets. Anything you leave in your garden, be it sweets, meats, vegetables, crisps and even rubbish, they will eat.
This is why it’s essential to ensure your garden is kept clean of any food as well as debris. Food will allow pigeons to feed their young, while debris acts as good nesting material. Ensuring pigeons have access to neither will leave them little to use to create a safe nesting environment in your trees.
HOME REMEDIES TO GET RID OF PIGEONS FROM TREES
There are a variety of tried and tested home remedies to help get rid of pigeons from trees, here’s a few to consider before contacting a pest control professional:
- Hanging reflective items from your trees or around your garden – birds become distracted by reflective items and are unlikely to nest in areas where they’re abundant. Try hanging CD’s, small mirrors, reflecting tape or other reflective materials to stun and deter birds from nesting in your trees.
- Scarecrows – while they’re old-fashioned, scarecrows still retain high success rates regarding deterring smaller birds from outdoor areas.
- Predator statues – similar to scarecrows, predator statues of larger birds (hawks, eagles and owls) should deter pigeons from nesting in trees as they will naturally fear the predator bird.
- Having pets – if you already have a cat or a dog, they’ll be helpful in deterring pigeons and other birds from nesting in your trees. Cats naturally hunt pigeons and as soon as the pigeon realises there’s a cat in close proximity to its nest, it will most likely leave.
- Ultrasonic and audible devices – while they do come with some controversial success rates, you may want to consider audible repellers. They work by imitating sounds of predator birds and birds in distress. The reason they aren’t as popular as other methods is because of their price tags and if your garden is small, or your tree is near to your house, you may also hear the noises.
SPECIALIST PIGEON CONTROL OPTIONS
If the above has not proved effective, you may want to consider professional bird control intervention. Each of the below services is carried out by an AMES Group pest control expert and according to NPTA guidelines and the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act.
Bird netting is one of the most effective ways to stop pigeons and other problems birds from infiltrating properties. Although bird netting is typically used in hospitality sectors (cafes, restaurants etc) to stop pigeons from disturbing customers, it can be used in gardens. Netting can be used to protect plants, vegetable gardens, crops and other areas that would provide pigeons with access to food. Additionally, bird netting can also be placed across certain parts of your garden to deter nesting. You would need to speak to our bird control team to discuss dimensions etc.
Bird spikes provide a fantastic solution to pigeons nesting and perching in both domestic and commercial environments. Although they are typically used to line balconies, rooftops, window sills and the inside ledges of properties, they can be used in trees. Being made of a polycarbonate base, they are able to bend and warp to suit almost any surface. For more information on installing bird spikes in trees, get in touch with our bird control team.
ALTERNATIVE PIGEON SOLUTIONS
If any of the above does not work for you, or you’re considering a different approach, we also provide alternative pigeon deterrent and removal methods.
PIGEON TRAPPING AND RELOCATING
This method is aimed at trapping and relocating larger pigeon populations so they do not return to the nest site. This is a structured program that can remove up to 70% of a pigeon population from your garden and should only be considered if you have a severe infestation of pigeons. To see if this option is appropriate for your garden, contact our team today. Alternatively, for more information on how this deterrent works, visit our alternative bird control page.
PIGEON EGG AND NEST REMOVAL
Again, this is a structured programme that should only be conducted by a certified bird control expert. This process involves delicately removing eggs and replacing them with fake eggs to prevent further laying during the first visit. A minimum of six treatments is usually required, with the final visit involving the removal of all nests and eggs (all of which are humanely relocated by AMES Group).
FOR GUARANTEED PIGEON REMOVAL FROM YOUR TREES AND GARDEN
AMES Group has been providing expert pigeon control solutions to customers across Birmingham for over 30 years. We offer a trusted service that ensures pigeons and other wild birds are removed and deterred from returning to your property. For more information on our services, quotations or even bird control advice, contact our team today.